Skip to main content

Our history

The Parish: Our Past and Present

Trinity Church and Old Swedes Church: two historic churches, one parish, and 300 years of faith in the city of Wilmington.

Trinity Parish maintains two church complexes that are about three miles apart, both of which are listed on the National Historic Register. Worshiping in these beautiful spaces connects us with the past, present, and future — or as we like to say, these spaces embody our 300 years of faith in the city.

Trinity Church, Wilmington

Trinity Church

N. Adams Street — consecrated in 1906.

Old Swedes Church and its historic graveyard

Old Swedes Church

800 East 7th Street — consecrated in 1699. Explore Old Swedes

Timeline

300 years of faith in the city

From the Swedish settlers of 1638 to the Episcopal parish of today.

  1. 1638

    A group of Swedes first settles in what is now the City of Wilmington, and a fort is erected on the banks of the Christina River. Trinity Parish traces its founding to this moment.

  2. 1638–1698

    The original Swedish Lutheran church stands within the walls of Fort Christina, near the site where the Swedes landed. As more Swedes make the voyage to the new colony, a larger church is needed.

  3. 1698–1699

    Foundation stones for the present Old Swedes Church at 800 East 7th Street are laid in 1698, and the church is consecrated in 1699 as Holy Trinity Church.

  4. 1791

    With changes in immigration patterns, what had been founded as a Lutheran church has become a parish of the Church of England. The last Swedish pastor departs, and jurisdiction of the church is transferred to the Protestant Episcopal Church.

  5. 1830

    The parish builds Trinity Chapel at the corner of Fifth and King Streets.

  6. 1847

    The present parish structure of two congregations worshiping in two churches begins.

  7. 1890

    The Chapel congregation purchases land at N. Adams Street, where the cornerstone is laid on May 1, 1890.

  8. 1891

    The new Trinity Church is blessed, and its first service is held on January 29, 1891.

  9. 1906

    Trinity Church is formally consecrated on May 15, 1906.

  10. Today

    Trinity Parish maintains two church complexes about three miles apart, both listed on the National Historic Register. Worshiping in these beautiful spaces connects us with the past, present, and future — these spaces embody our 300 years of faith in the city.

Keep exploring

The story is still being written

Visit our two historic sites, join a Sunday service, or meet the people who call Trinity Parish home today.